Saturday, February 13, 2016

Storytelling: Week 4 Courtcase of Ka Likai

This is the court case Ka Likai vs. Husband #2. She is charging her husband with first degree murder and child abuse.

Ka Likai's Lawyer: Could you tell us a little bit about your marriage with your second husband?

Ka Likai: Of course. He knew I was previously married and I had a daughter when we met and got married, but through out our marriage he seemed very jealous of her. I was obviously obsessed with my daughter. I loved her with all of my heart and would do anything for her, she was the light of my life. She was very young so I had to pay attention to her and care for her.
When we got married he had a very stable job and was happy to go to work everyday and provide for our family, just like he agreed to do when we got married. After a while he refused to work and sent me out everyday to work. I had some suspicion that when I was away at work he treated my daughter very poorly. I would sometimes find bruises and cuts on her that were not there when I left for work in the morning. When I asked him about it he would say she was just playing a little too rough. He said he would never hurt her and I trusted him.

Ka Likai's Lawyer: So what happened on the day of the incident?

Ka Likai: I had to go on a long journey for work, because I was the only one providing for the family. I didn't want to leave my daughter for so long, but I trusted that my husband would take care of her. When I returned from my trip my husband seemed to be in a very good mood, which made me happy he had a change in heart, he even made me dinner. I asked where my daughter was and he said that she had gone out to play. I sat down to eat dinner and when I finished I was preparing to battle and pan to chew. When I went to retrieve the basket I saw a hand in it, the hand of my daughter.... I'm sorry its hard for me to talk about.

KaLikai's Lawyer: It's okay. Take time to collect yourself. What happened after you found the hand in the basket?

Ka Likai: I asked for an explanation and he admitted to killing her and... and... he even... he cooked her. He cooked her and fed her to me.

Jury: **Gasps and cries**

Ka Likai's Lawyer: I am so sorry Ka Likai. Can I get her husband up to the stand please?
                               How do you plead?

Husband #2: Guilty, and I do not regret anything I did.

Ka Likai's Lawyer: Please explain yourself.

Husband #2: That little girl and Ka Likai got what they deserved. She only married me so I would support her precious little daughter and she could spend all day at home with her and do nothing. She got away with it for a while. I went to work and gave her money that she would just spend on her daughter. I got fed up with it and decided not to work for her anymore.

Ka Likai's Lawyer: So you planned the murder and the supper? You knew exactly the horrible things you were doing when you did them?

Husband #2: Yes. And I would do it again if I had the chance.

Ka Likai's Lawyer: That's all I needed to know. You can step down now.


Authors Notes: I honestly chose the stories of Khasi because it kind of sounds like my name (Cassie), but I chose this specific story because it was a very shocking story where a lot happened in a small amount of words. It was very memorable due to the shock factor.
In the story of Ka Likai her second husband became very jealous of Ka Likai's daughter, enough to kill her and serve her flesh to Ka Likai. This story was very shocking and scary and defiantly could be portrayed as a court case. In the story you don't really get to know the husband, but it is pretty clear he is an evil crazy man. That is why in the court case I made him plead guilty, because he didn't seem to have any sympathy for his actions.
Ka Likai is the name of a waterfall in India that is very peaceful with subtle sounds of moans and cries. This story ended with Ka Likai throwing herself off the edge of the waterfall to her death. This story is told to warn windowed mothers before remarrying.


Waterfall of Ka Likai

2 comments:

  1. I definitely agree that your story had shock factor to it. I was totally surprised when it got to the part about cooking her daughter, and that was she was eating. I liked the take from the court room, that was an interesting viewpoint for the story! You did a great job writing this, and conveying the progression of events!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was definitely the most intense story I have read thus far. As I was reading it I felt like I was watching a true crime story on TV. You did a really good job of writing this and the dialogue. I was surprised also about the events that took place in the story. But I also think because of the content, the court room was a great place to set up the scene for the story.

    ReplyDelete