Thursday, April 28, 2016

Storytelling: Week 14: Dragon Castle Club

My name is Annabelle and I am a princess. I know you think its all glitz and glam, but I am the youngest of my twelve sisters, so I have to do whatever they tell me. I am the quietest out of the group. I really like to read and I spend a lot of time on the spinning wheel. My sisters love to dance, but I am not the partying type, also daddy doesn't let us leave the castle at night.
The past couple of weeks my sisters have been sneaking out (and dragging me along) to go to this new Dragon Castle Club. Its super exclusive and in an underground castle. We meet up with the the twelve princes from the other kingdoms and they row us across the lake to get to it. I think daddy is on to us because each night we dance so much we get holes in our slippers so we need a new pair every single day.
Our father set out an announcement to everyone that says whoever finds out where we go they will get to marry one of us. I really don't want to get caught and married to some troll or something gross like that. I asked my sisters if we could stop going dancing, but they all started yelling at me.
Overtime some strange man came to the castle we assume they are trying to catch us, so before bed we make them a special tea that knocks them out cold until morning. My sisters are crazy, but they are also super cleaver. There have been like four princes that have come to stay with us and each time they sleep though the whole night and can't hear us sneaking out.
Lately there has been this soldier who seems pretty sure of himself, but he has no idea. We gave him the tea and made sure he was out before we put our dresses on and left the castle, but something strange happened. I was walking down the stairs and I felt something tug on my dress. I was sure it was a hand or someone grabbing me because thats what it felt like, but my sisters dismissed it as me catching my dress on the railing.
We started walking into the forest and i heard a strange sound I had never heard before, like a snapping twig, but it came from behind us. I thought it was a bear or wolf, but once again my sisters dismissed it as me being paranoid. I am just always so nervous.
When we got to the boats the princes were waiting for us. The prince my sisters set me up with is attractive, but not very bright. He probably hasn't opened a book in his life. He is a pretty good dancer though. When we got on the boat he said it seemed heavier and harder to row, and I know that I two deserts last night, but I didn't think it was that noticeable. I didn't want him to think I was fat so I just said I think the wind is stronger than normal, and his simple mind agreed with me.
We danced all night and then came home to that sleeping soldier still in his room, snoring louder than ever. I thought it would keep me up, but I was so tired I fell right to sleep.

The next day we all woke up and went downstairs for breakfast, but something was off because the soldier was still there! He actually stayed for three more nights.
On the third morning when we went downstairs the soldier was standing right by daddy, and daddy looked so mad. The soldier on the other hand looked super giddy. At that moment I knew we had been caught and my heart sank to my stomach.
Daddy didn't say anything to us he just looked at the soldier and said "Pick one," like we were sheep at the market. I was so mad, but then again we had been disobedient. Luckily he didn't pick me, he picked my oldest sister, who didn't really seem to mind marrying a stranger.
The rest of us got grounded for a whole month. I honestly didn't mind because I finally got to catch up on my reading and my sleep.

Authors Notes: This story comes from the Brothers Grimm's story "The Twelve Dancing Princesses." This story follows the same theme as the other one, but I wanted to tell it in the youngest sisters perspective. In the Grimm's version the youngest one is questioning everything around her when they sneak out. All of the noises she hears is the soldier. He was able to get a hold of an invisible cloak and follow the sisters to the place where they dance, which is an underground castle, so I thought it would funny to name is Dragon Castle Club.

3 comments:

  1. This is such a great interpretation of the story! I also would have been wondering what the youngest sister's perspective would be if I had noticed her questioning things during the original story. I also think that the casual tone of your writing really brought the character and her perspective to life! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cassandra,
    Wow talk about harsh punishment. Sneaking out gets you married off to some stranger and your sisters just get grounded. Talk about unfair. I did like the creativity of your story but I feel like there was a cliffhanger. Why did the youngest sister feel the pull on her dress or the extra weight in the boat. I understand it was the soldier but I would have loved it you had revealed how he pulled that off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Cassie! Your story was great! I'm glad that she was not chosen as well because that would suck to be forcefully dragged out by her sisters. Then, forcefully married to a stranger. I can totally oblige to Annabelle and her personality. I am not the youngest one in my immediate family. However, I am the youngest in my extended family. So I completely understand how she often does not want to participate in what the older kids are doing because you know better! Great story overall!

    ReplyDelete